Thursday, March 9, 2017

An Open Letter to Depeche Mode, from your Best Friend

Hello guys,

I know you're wondering, "Who is this claiming to be my best friend?"  Well, it's me.  I've been here, cheering you on by your side for ...let's see ...34 years.  I remember sitting in my brother's room hearing about the "grabbing hands" grabbing all they can.  I was in awe as you thundered about how People Are People.  Then you created a Black Celebration.  My friends were confused but no problem, I liked the songs.  And when they said you had sold out to the Masses and 101 was alienating the true fans, I held on because I knew this band is something special.  And you proved them wrong, didn't you?  On your next offering we all could Enjoy the Silence as the critics were left speechless.  I was there in '93, on the 14th row of the Delta Center.  You were great!  As a true friend, I was sorry to watch you go through a lot of turmoil, breakups, and then one of you even died for a few minutes.  I couldn't possibly walk in your shoes, but you had my support when you got back on your feet and tried again.  Bravo, good for you, coming back from so much adversity.  You worked through the changed dynamics and finally delivered another masterwork in Playing the Angel.  I was excited by your music because I knew that your potential was really starting to be realized, and it was only getting better.

Now here we are, my friends.  You are at the top of your game.  I had purchased all your albums when they were new on cassettes and then re-purchased on CDs.  I didn't get all the singles because I'm not a weirdo collector, I just like the music.  You've created things that have been there throughout my life, standing head and shoulders above bands with inferior creative abilities.  You've survived the death / irrelevance of New Wave, Synth Pop, Techno, and several other electronic movements because your instincts always break through.  As you can see, I am and have been your true friend and support.

So why am I, your best friend, writing you now?  We were doing perfectly well and I gave you your professional space.  Why now?  Let me explain.  I learned a few years ago which relationships in life are truly Precious and worth effort.  Among these of course are family relationships, but there's no time in life for friends who won't "understand me."  For all my devotion to your art and accepting you without judgment, you don't like or want to understand me.  And I'm not much of a friend if I just ignore how you're treating me.

"What?"  you'll gasp, "What have I possibly done wrong?"  Let's talk.

(to be continued...)

No comments: